Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from Argentina’s Davis Cup first-round encounter against Holland.
Argentina captain Modesto Vazquez is not set to announce his team until the end of next week’s ATP tournament in Buenos Aires, but Del Potro has already ruled himself out of the tie, which will be played on March 6-8. Del Potro told www.fuebuena.com.ar: “I will not play because I am currently playing on hard courts and the Davis Cup tie will be on clay. So it would be very difficult for me.”
And he added: “However, after the first round, if we win, I will be there.” If Argentina wins they will play France or the Czech Republic.
Del Potro added the team is as motivated as last year, when they lost the final 3-1 to Spain in Argentina. “We lost the final at home and now we are stronger, we learnt a lot from the Spain clash and we have a good team, so we’ll try to win the cup this year,” he said.
Guillermo Canas and Agustin Calleri have also withdrawn from the team.