Maria Sharapova Out Of The Australian Open 2009

by The Insider on January 13, 2009 · 11 comments

in Grand Slams

Maria Sharapova is out of the Australian Open for 2009! This news has been reported a huge amount in the last few days, but it this new a little bit over the top? I know she is the defending champion and one of the best female tennis players in the world, but something it seems like she is a little bigger than the game.  The Australian Open is unlucky to lose Sharapova because she would bring in a lot more tickets sales and viewers to tennis. However, I just wish so much emphasis shouldn’t be placed on just one player.

Michael January 14, 2009 at 2:41 am

Yea, I think it is disappointing for the Tournament. Arguably, spectator tickets sell as a combination of good looking players and skills – both men and women.
That aside, any ‘defending champion’ should be greatly missed especially in a Grand Slam.
Michael

Sérgio January 17, 2009 at 11:53 am

Of course Sharapova is a big loss to the Australian Open 2009! She is a great player and really the news aren’t abundant of why she has not been at her best in the last tournaments, especially during 2008! Please try, on many sources of news as possible, to promote the idea of as many news as possible about Maria Sharapova!

Kevin January 21, 2009 at 5:34 pm

You’re plain stupid if you think she’s not a loss to the Australian Open this year. She’s the defending CHAMPION, not to mention a top 10 player in the world. If you’re truly a die hard tennis fan the you should care. That’s just dumb to say, don’t hate her because shes gorgeous. This is the last time I read your blog or whatever you want to call this. And please, correct your grammar and put an apostrophe in your title “Player’s Perspective”.

Ben Scott January 21, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Forget everyone who is doubting maria sharapova. On a good day she could easily beast any girl on the circuit. Any defending champion deserves a little more respect than that. Yea she looks good but its not just that, im pretty sure she has the titles to back up the looks.

Boston Kate January 22, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Insider?, you’re definitely on the outside of tennis, if that is your true opinion. Diehard, no you’re not a true fan surely has his favorites, but a true fan appreciates talent. It sounds as if your jealous. That must suck.

The Insider January 23, 2009 at 10:17 am

I admit she has talent and she is performing a lot better than Kournikova who I thought she would be like.

More people would have gone to Melbourne Park if she was playing im sure, thus more ticket sales and revenue for the tournament.

Terry January 23, 2009 at 11:38 am

Wow, a die hard tennis fan could care less huh? What do you call yourself then? I bet that “pretty face” from Russia could mop up the court with you. They don’t hand out Grand Slam titles based on looks alone, I’m pretty sure they have to win them. Stop polluting the net with dumb sites like these.

The Insider January 23, 2009 at 11:55 am

@Terry I doubt very much that she could mop me up on court. Additionally, why is this a dumb site, because I had an opinion? Sorry.

The Insider January 24, 2009 at 7:28 pm

I know Sharapova is a great player. Im sorry if some people might have been offended by my comments.

milot January 27, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Sharapova has a lot of Talent as a matter of Fact…And she Was a big miss for the Australian open..If she was there at the moment The AO would have been much more interesting than it is…!!Imagine a 4round Encounter Between Sharapova and Serena…How many tickets sold there..!!She has the look and the Game to be a Champion…Tell me a Dominant Women Player lately that has those two things…I think she Will Dominate 2009…Two slams for Sure:D:D

The Insider January 28, 2009 at 10:08 am

@milot I totally agree that she was a big miss and that a big encounter between her and Serena would have sold out. The Australian Open im sure lost a bit on ticket sales because of this.

Im not too sure however if she will dominate 2009, and I cant see her winning 2 Grand Slams out of the next 3.