Redesigning Rafa – Rafael Nadal and Nike Talk About Changing His Image

by The Insider on September 4, 2008 · 9 comments

in Random

In the last few weeks there have been a lot of talk in the USA about Raphael Nadal and how they are wanting to overhaul his image and make him a little more clean cut. Rafa and Nike want to move away from the muscle shirt and Capri pants — a “hunky rebel” look — to that of a more traditional tennis player: polos and shorts.

So if I understand correctly they want to turn Rafa into a Roger Federer clone! I really cant see the point of this from Nike. Tennis is getting a lot of negative press because sometimes it is just so boring and there aren’t any real personalities left in the game anymore, and then suddenly you decide to try to make a good looking guy, who is bringing more women to the game, a preppy!

Nike, this is really not going to work and more the point I think you will be selling a lot less product because of it!

Contessa ChiChi September 4, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Hola! This is Contessa ChiChi who will rail against Tee and shorts for Rafa! It’s his special and unique look that entices many fans for Rafa. If Nike does this, they will be sorry – I think. hmm.. On second thought, Rafa look good in anything.

p.s. You have nice website..:)

The Insider September 5, 2008 at 12:27 pm

@Contess ChiChi Thanks for the comments and I also think Nike will make a big mistake!

faecoleman September 12, 2008 at 12:25 am

totally agree we all like sexy rafael nadal just the way he is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contessa ChiChi October 14, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Yes! And I am watching him right now on the Tennis Channel playing Gulbis. I’m ecstatic he’s wearing his own unique look and not Nike, blech, aren’t you?

Contessa ChiChi luvs Rafa Nadal!

The Insider October 18, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Yeh I think he should just keep doing what he is doing. He is going great!

maggy January 4, 2009 at 12:27 am

oh dear Nike….you obviously are not in tune with the fans are you?
why try to mend what isnt broken?…you had a real sexy look and now change it for the sake of change…crazy ! real bad marketing move..give us back rafa’s loverly arms and sexy pants and sack the idiot who thought that one up.

maggy January 4, 2009 at 12:30 am

ps…mind you Rafa could wear a trash bag and still look great

Cheryl Reynolds January 30, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Oh such sadness, I love Rafa whatever he wears but at 61 he used to cheer me up no end, those gorgeous biceps and beautiful bottom, lets have the old Rafa back, the tennis is so great he could wear anything but it does my heart and soul so good to see him exposed and delicious. Nike must be run by boring old men, time to change the label.
Love you always Rafa Cher

G M K-d H July 2, 2010 at 12:10 am

1 July 2010 Just came across this article and FINALLY now know why Rafi changed his look! Darn it anyway! Yes he could wear a trash bag and looks great no matter what, but the guys who are now wearing the sleeveless shirts have no reason to be doing so. Rafa had the entire cut upper body for those shirts, and I don’t think any of us thought less of him for wearing what for him was a “great look!” To “overhaul his image and make him a little more clean cut” was incredibly unnecessary and I personally miss his sleeveless shirts and capris! He was after all King Rafa and if a King shouldn’t have his own style, then who should? Love him anyway, but missing the way he looked!!!