Serena Williams Has Officially Withdrawn from 2011 Australian Open

by The Insider on December 5, 2010 · 0 comments

in Featured, Grand Slams, WTA News

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley has announced that Serena Williams has officially withdrawn from the 2011 tournament.

Williams has cited a foot injury for the withdrawal. It is the 2nd consecutive Grand Slam tournament that Williams will miss, and the loss of 2000 ranking points will cost her her place in the top 10 rankings.

She said she had additional surgery last month and couldn’t risk returning before the injury had properly healed.

“As I recently learned, pushing myself back into my intense training too early only caused me further injury and damage,” Williams said. “While I desperately want to be back on the court and competing in the first Grand Slam tournament of the year, it is imperative for my health that I continue to work with my doctors to ensure my foot heals properly.

“This decision, though heavy on my heart, is the right one. I am praying for a healthy recovery and I promise my Aussie fans and my fans around the world that I will be back better than ever as soon as I can be.”

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: