Serena Williams: I Would Have Not Have Played If It Wasnt a Grand Slam: Why Always an Excuse?

by The Insider on January 23, 2012 · 6 comments

in WTA News

Serena Williams was knocked out of the Australian Open 2012 this morning in straight sets by unseeded Russian Ekaterina Makarova 6-2 6-3.

Now she has come out with the outragous statement that she would not have played the tournament had it not been a major.

“No, no way. I probably shouldn’t have played. But no way,” Serena told reporters. “I never blame any injury that I have because I feel like she played really well and she deserved the win…Obviously I’m not 100 percent, and I haven’t been. But it’s no excuse.”

I find this a complete joke after we reported that after Brisbane she was in Melbourne early training and looked completely fine (she only twisted her ankle).

Will January 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm

She tore ligaments in her ankle and u could clearly see she wasn’t moving well all week. What an ignorant article.

Aaron January 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Right on. I’m tired of the Williams sisters and their constant excuses. Cannot wait for the day when they are finally off the WTA Tour.

The Insider January 23, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Wow.. about time someone agreed with me and actually spoke their mind!

M. Mason January 24, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I live in England and noone who does not support Andy Murray can actually enjoy tennis over here, the commentators are very jeolous of the top three men players and the William sisters. It’s about 3000 of us and we are miserable over here because of the same old commentators. We feel sorry for “the other men players here in England thats how they actually refer to them other players. The Brits talk too much during play, if they knew so much about tennis wouldnt they have some grand slammers in this day and age .We are dreading the olympics. You know you are not good enough when you can only win against the top players when they are hurt and not up to par.

The Insider January 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

Im living in the UK at the moment also.. and yeh I completely agree! Its a real shame that the commentators dont really have a clue. However, that seems to be the view in a lot of countries and possibly where tennis misses a trick. They only focus on the top few and screw the rest!

Anthony January 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Serena Williams needs to cut the crap and admit she’s out of shape and disinterested in tennis. Everyone knows how much a warrior she is and important to U.S. tennis but these young tennis stars who occupy the top ten are serious about their livelihood. Spend more time training like Andre Agassi instead of coming up with the (why nots) on your losses.