US Open Tournament Predictions

by Nick Nemeroff on August 30, 2011 · 6 comments

in Grand Slams

The 2011 US Open will commence several hours from now in the Big Apple.  Coming into the final major of the year, the focus on the men’s side is clearly around Novak Djokovic, who at 57-2 on the year will be looking to capture his third slam of the year.   Also, look for this year to be one of the best showings for American males in the last several years .  With this being said, here are my predictions for 2011…

Dark Horse:  I was going to put Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in this position, but I simply do not believe that he is a dark horse.  At this point, Tsonga is a certified threat and will not be taken lightly by anyone.  To state it simply, if Tsonga were to advance to the Semifinals it would not come as a huge shock thus he is not a dark horse in my book.  A dark horse is defined as someone essentially wins against expectation.    My dark horse in this tournament is without a doubt John Isner.   I fully expect Isner to get past Baghdatis seeing that he has not only beaten him two out of the last three weeks in Montreal and Winston Salem but Isner also has the American crowd to rally behind.  In the second round Isner would get through Robby Ginepri with ease. The third round would likely be a matchup against Robin Soderling.  The Swede has been out of the game since Wimbledon and will definitely come into the Open with rust.   I fully believe that Isner has the game and more crucially the confidence to take out Soderling on such a big stage.  Isner would likely play Del Potro or Simon in the fourth round.  Both of these are winnable matches for Isner as Simon lacks the firepower necessary to defeat the top guys in a best of five match and Del Potro has clearly been playing below his top level.  If Isner does end up reaching the QFs and playing Andy Murray he would definitely be the overwhelming underdog, but crazier things have happened.

Early Exit: Plainly put, Robin Soderling has been out since Wimbledon and with the lack of hard court play, I find it very hard to see him progressing past the first week in Flushing Meadows.

Best first round matchups (Ranked):

1.  Monfils v. Dimitrov

2.  Harrison v. Cilic

3.  Baghdatis v. Isner

4.  Kohlschreiber v. Stepanek

5. Youzhny v. Gulbis

I am not going to go to in depth right now with predictions as there will be time for that later on in the tournament but here are what I see as the most probable matchups:

QF Matchups:

Djokovic v. Monfils

Federer v. Fish

Murray v. Isner

Nadal V. Ferrer

Semis: Djokovic v. Federer; Murray v. Nadal

Finals: Murray v. Djokovic

Winner of 2011 US Open: Djokovic

Nick Nemeroff August 30, 2011 at 11:45 am

Please note that this article was written Monday morning!

stef August 30, 2011 at 11:53 am

Big tennis fan! You’re not taking any risk on your predictions are you? Because the Big Four as the Last four is not a prediction so-called, it’s just the way it’s gonna be!

As far as I am concerned, all of us know for a fact that Murray can beat Nadal … but … not here because he puts to much pressure on himself as it is the last Grand Slam of the year, he wants so bad to win it that he will simply fall apart in the Semis!

And Federer, no pressure for him but I definitely see him beating Djokovic again. It will be no surprise.

So for me ! Nadal – Federer or Federer – Murray (at the very least)

Nadal or Federer for the win !!

The Insider August 30, 2011 at 12:01 pm

They are very solid predictions. You are basically saying there are going to be no real upsets. However, I think Robin Soderling is going to be the player to actually make the semifinals. He hasnt played much and no one will expect a good result from him.

Apart from that I can see Feliciano Lopez upseting Murray in the third round!

Nick Nemeroff August 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Yeah, I think since Soderling has not played in a while his timing, footwork, ect are going to be lagging. In addition, his forehand which is huge is going to be off in my estimation. Also, with such a high ball toss on the serve, I expect him to be significantly less effective when serving.

Sri August 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Disappointing to see you choose Djokovic.
Clearly, nadal has been in bad form all summer, Murray is a choke, and Djokovic, though playing awesome, has an injured shoulder.
That leaves the winner Roger Federer adding to his 16 previous major wins

Nick Nemeroff August 31, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I honestly want Roger to win more than anyone but I would just pick favorites and not making an honest prediction if I were to go with Fed